Thursday, June 30, 2011

Civil War Commission Publishes New Resources

This year marks the 150th anniversary of the Civil War in Virginia and the state's Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission is coordinating the celebration over the next five years.

They recently posted up a new tool so that you can track your ancestors - I've posted the link below. It's very cool.


For example, my Great Great Grandfather (my grandfather's grandfather) fought in Kemper's Brigade from Madison County otherwise known at the 7th Virginia Infantry. I had known he had survived Pickett's Charge and was captured eight days before Appomattox at Five Forks, but I had no idea they had seen action at Bull Run (#1) or Fredericksburg.

Unfortunately, you cannot search by name. I'm still trying to figure out one of my other grandfather's regiment so I can track him down.

They're encouraging anyone with information regarding the regiments to digitize their documents to consolidate source materials for the Civil War 150 Legacy Project.

Also, note that the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Bull Run is on Thursday, July 21, 2011. The Commission is sponsoring a commemoration at the Manassas National Battlefield from 9:30-10:30 a.m. If you're not stuck in traffic court like me, head on out!

No comments:

Post a Comment