As I wrote in my column in the Mount Vernon Gazette, the National Park Service is considering major changes to Fort Hunt Park including:
- The demolition of 4 of 5 picnic pavillions
- The construction of a visitor's center focusing on the park's historic assets
- Re-routing the road and separating bicycle and pedestrian traffic
- Fort Hunt Park Site Development Main Site
- Fort Hunt Site Development Plan Environmental Assessment/Assessment of Effect
- Environmental Impact Analysis
- Maps of Three Proposals
I oppose the demolition of the picnic pavillions. Fort Hunt Park is a valued community asset used by thousands of my constituents. The current proposals significantly change the purpose of the park.
I have already spoken with the offices of Congressman Moran and Congressman Connolly. They are going to be in touch with the National Park Service.
The National Park Service is accepting comments on this proposal through October 6, 2011. If you have any feedback on their plans, you can enter it below. I will forward all comments I receive to the National Park Service, Congressman Moran, Congressman Connolly, Senator Webb, and Senator Warner.
***NOTE that the "Preferred Alternative" is the NPS' preferred alternative - not what I am recommending.