I have cut and pasted an excerpt from the Weather Underground's forecast as of 10:50 a.m. on the right. You can click on it to enlarge.
The following information should help you prepare for the storm:
Dominion Resources Power Outage Line
Dominion Resources Storm Center
VDOT Street Problem Number
1 (800) FOR-ROAD
VDOT Real Time Plow Map
Real-Time Map of VDOT Plow Locations
During the storm, please avoid driving on roads. Automobile accidents account for about 70 percent of fatalities related to ice and snow.
- Monitor your local news sources for the latest weather conditions
- Prepare your car for winter driving conditions including having an emergency kit in your vehicle
- Prepare your home for winter weather conditions in case of power outages
- Before getting behind the wheel, call 511, go to www.511virginia.org or download the 511 mobile app to get the latest road condition information
- You may also call 800-FOR-ROAD (800-637-7623) to report road hazards or ask road-related questions at VDOT's 24-hour Customer Service Center
- When driving, give yourself extra time to reach your destination, leave plenty of driving room between you and the vehicle ahead and slow down
Road priorities and neighborhood snowplow tracker:
VDOT's goal is to have all state-maintained roads passable within 48 hours after a winter storm ends
Crews first begin clearing roads with the highest traffic volumes - interstates and primary roads - and then major secondary roads, followed by subdivision streets.
A statewide network of 77 weather sensors in roadways and bridges, plus 16 mobile video platforms, allows crews to quickly identify when and where road surfaces might be freezing.
VDOT has activated a web-based neighborhood tracking map that monitors the status of plowing in Northern Virginia neighborhoods if there is more than two inches of snow. It is available at www.vdotplows.org. VDOT will be testing the tracker concept in other parts of the state this year to determine which regions are best suited for the wireless technology required for the system.
Please visit www.virginiadot.org/travel/
Emergencies, Reporting Outages & Traffic Issues:
Contact information for reporting utility outages and traffic problems follow:
Police non-emergency numbers are:
If you have any prolonged outages or if your street is blocked, feel free to contact my office at 571.249.4484 or email me at email@example.com.
Please prepare and be safe during the storm