The new admission statistics for Thomas Jefferson High School's Class of 2020 are out and it appears to be more of the same. The full stats are below, but here are the highlights:
- Carl Sandburg MS, Walt Whitman MS, and Hayfield SS collectively admitted around 6 kids after 102 applied - an admittance rate of around 6% compared to over 25% for several FCPS Schools.
- The schools with the Top 5 number of students admitted averaged a free & reduced meal percentage of 11% while the Bottom 5 Public Schools averaged 35%.
- Three schools with zero admitted averaged 46.8%.
- Overall Thomas Jefferson H.S. has a 2% free and reduced meal population
- Thomas Jefferson's population looks nothing like Fairfax County. It has a Black student population of 1.5% and Hispanic's represent 2.23% of the school's population compared to 10% Black and 24% Hispanic in FCPS as a whole. Full data for TJ is here:
I continue to be very disturbed by these trends and I'm open to ideas as to what to do about it because little seems to be changing after five years of complaints.
Post up ideas in the comments.