My constituent from the Hayfield community,an Op-Ed in this weekend's Richmond Times Dispatch that hits the highlights of a recent JLARC report regarding the state of our education funding.
Here are the highlights:
- State education spending per student dropped by 0.4 percent this year.
- Virginia is spending $100 less per student than we spent in 2005 on an inflation adjusted basis.
- ESL/Disabled children population is up 15%.
- On inflation adjusted basis VA teachers saw a 5% drop in purchasing power of their salaries
- Fairfax County salaries are 98th nationally
- State funding formula dates to 1972 when Fairfax poverty rate was 3.5% and largest immigrant group was Germans.
Clearly, Virginia must do better for its children.