Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2011 Capitol Classic: House Wins in a Landslide

Last night, I participated in the annual Capitol Classic Basketball Tournament. The tournament is an annual event where the Governor's Office plays the Lobbyists and the House plays the Senate. The event raised $10,000 for the Massie Cancer Center at Virginia Commonwealth University.

This year the House beat the Senate 29-13. I scored the first basket of the game and had one assist.

The Senate never quite got it in gear. They didn't have a basket until there was about 3 minutes left in the first half. They ultimately put some points on the board to make it a bit more respectable, but it was hard for them to keep up with the number of players we had.

Our team included our Coach Delegate Chris Jones (R - Suffolk) and Delegates John Cosgrove (R - Chesapeake), Tag Greason (R - Loudoun), Terry Kilgore (R - Scott), Manoli Loupassi (R - Richmond), Glen Oder (R - Newport News), Dave Toscano (D - Charlottesville), my intern Greg Manuel and a few other staffers. The Senate team included my law partner Senator Chap Petersen (D - Fairfax) along with Senators McEachin (D - Richmond), Emmit Hanger (R - Augusta), Ralph Northam (R - Norfolk), George Barker (R - Fairfax), Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, and a few other staffers and interns.

I used to play a lot of basketball in the Fort Hunt Youth Athletic Association and in law school, but I haven't kept up my game much in the last 15 years. The game was a good reminder to me of how much I need to work on getting in shape.

If I'm lucky enough to be back next year, I'll be looking forward to getting it in gear next year. The Massie Center is a terrific program that provides cancer treatment options closer to home for thousands of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment