Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy Birthday To The 44th's Most Famous Resident

Tomorrow, would mark George Washington's 279th Birthday. Senator Puller tells me that he has a tradition of giving a speech in honor of General Washington every year. I thought that sounded like a good idea and intend to do the same.

If you ever come to visit here in Richmond, one thing you will notice is the life-sized statue of Washington in the Capitol Rotunda by Jean Antoine Houdon. Houdon took measurements and a life mask of Washington in a 1785 visit to Mount Vernon before returning to France to sculpt his final product.


The statue in Richmond is the most valuable piece of art in the Capitol art collection. When the Capitol underwent a recent renovation, it was estimated to be worth over $40 million. Seeing the statue is worth the trip in and of itself.
I'll post up my remarks when I get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment